Nelson Mandela Accomplishments on standing firm on his principles
- Nelson Mandela accomplishments: “Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do.” In one simple sentence Nelson Mandela sums up the greatest life lesson he has taught – persistence is key. Standing up for what you believe in, and staying focused on it, is key to your success.
- Nelson Mandela was born in the Eastern Cape in South Africa, into the Thembu Royal family. His father, Gadla Henry Mphakanyiswa, was a local chief and councillor. Nelson’s birth name is Rolohlahla but he was nicknamed Nelson by a teacher when he was young.
- When Mandela was a student at the Fort Hare University in the Eastern Cape, he led a strike with Oliver Tambo, which led to his expulsion from the university. He then moved to Johannesburg and continued his studying via correspondence. He was determined to complete his degree in Law, and wouldn’t give up on his cause: for all races to live together in peace.
- As a leader of the African National Congress, Nelson Mandela followed Mahatma Gandhi’s non-violent tactics, wanting to maintain peaceful protests. In 1963 he was arrested for terrorism and treason and sentenced to life in prison.
- Whilst in prison, Mandela continued his fight for equal rights for all South Africans; not just non-whites. He refused to compromise his political beliefs for freedom and persisted at fighting1 for the end of Apartheid.
- Even though Mandela was in prison he remained the leader of the ANC. He did this with great success; becoming the symbol for equal rights. Even the opposition grudgingly acknowledged Mandela’s persistence and leadership abilities. When F.W de Klerk became the president of South Africa, he often met with Mandela to discuss politics, seeking Mandela’s advice on leadership for the future.
- Although Nelson Mandela was sentenced to life in prison, his persistence paid off and he was released after twenty-seven years. At the age of 75 (four years later) he won the first ever free and fair election in South Africa – finally obtaining what he had spent most of his life fighting for – equal rights for all races and a democratic state.
- In 1993 Nelson Mandela2 was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, along with former president F.W de Klerk for their efforts to end Apartheid. This was a truly just award considering his resistance to conformity and the length of his prison term as a result.
- Nelson Mandela’s leadership skills3 and persistence have not only impacted South Africans. Statues of Mandela have been erected all over the world, including in India and England. He will forever be remembered for his positive attitude4 towards all South Africans, forgiving nature, and lack of bitterness whilst leading South Africa towards democracy. He has been an inspiration to freedom fighters the world over, and arguably the most powerful voice for social justice ever in recent history.
- “It always seems impossible until it’s done.”
- “Do not judge me by my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again.”
- “What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead.”
- “The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.”
- “The greatest glory in living lies not, in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
- “We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right.”
- “I dream of an Africa which is in peace with itself.”
Nelson Mandela Accomplishments: Videos
President Obama Speaks at a Memorial Service for Nelson Mandela
- President Obama delivers remarks at a national memorial service for former South African President Nelson Mandela. December 10, 2013.
Nelson Mandela Biography: Life and Accomplishments of a South African Leader
- RIP Nelson Mandela. He was the first black president of South Africa, and he helped negotiate the end of apartheid rule.
Nelson Mandela Accomplishments(Dream it video)
- Achievements from Nelson Mandela: Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do. Persistence.
Nelson Mandela Inspirational Leader as mourn by World Leaders
- Mandela left a legacy that will not be with us forever. ∙ Mandela is remembered in every corner of the globe. He influenced the world leaders and the people of the world. ∙ Nelson Mandela, the father of our nation and one of the world’s greatest icons.
The Inspirational Nelson Mandela
- Former CBC senior correspondent Brian Stewart looks back on the life of Nelson Mandela, the anti-apartheid leader who was an inspiration to so many others.
Nelson Mandela Speech, Harvard 1998
- Nelson Mandela Speech, Harvard 1998. Historic. A Must SEE!
The lighter side of Nelson Mandela
- Learn more about Madiba as a person.
Nelson Mandela Accomplishments: Images